Esegui ricerca
22 November 2010

Poland's Solidarity shipyard turns to wind turbines

Aumenta dimensioni testoDiminuisci dimensioni testo

Poland's historic Gdansk shipyard, the 1980 birthplace of the Solidarity trade union led by freedom icon Lech Walesa that toppled communism in 1989, started work on making wind turbines on Thursday

Initial plans call for a hundred turbines to be produced there annually, a figure which could be increased to 200 within in two years, Gdansk Shipyard chairman Andrzej Stoklosa said, quoted by the Polish PAP news agency.

Stoklosa said the yard hopes to become Europe's leading wind-turbine manufacturer, producing both land- and sea-based models.

The first 10 turbines for German client Nordex, a leader in wind energy, are already under construction, he said.

The turbines can produce up two megawatts, with the cost per megawatt 1.5 million euros (2.0 million dollars), according to Stoklosa.

Poland currently produces around 1,100 megawatts of wind energy, covering less than one percent of its total electricity needs.

Ukraine's Donbass group owns 80 percent of the Gdansk shipyard with the Polish Treasury holding the remaining 20 percent.

The facility employs some 1,700 people and is still building ships, with 11 vessels currently under construction, according to management.

The Gdansk Shipyard is renowned as the cradle of Poland's 1980's Solidarity freedom movement.

After an unprecedented two-week-long strike at the Lenin shipyard, as it was then called, Poland's communist regime signed an agreement on August 31, 1980 with strikers led by shipyard electrician Lech Walesa that paved the way for the creation of Solidarnosc (Solidarity), the first and only independent trade union in the entire Soviet bloc.


Read more provides its content to all media free of charge. We would appreciate if you could acknowledge as the source of the content.